Description: Lynchburg Courthouse on land deeded to the town by John Lynch in 1805. The present Greek Revival structure was erected 1853-55. It is on the site of the earlier Courthouse of 1813 which was demolished. William Ellison was the Architect and contractors Hallet and Mace built the Courthouse for $22,000. Judge William Leigh was the first to hold court in the new building which was completed in May 1855. The clock in the pediment is the original town clock which first had been installed in 1835 in St. Paul's Episcopal Church which had stood at Church and Seventh Streets.